Thursday, September 18, 2014
Remodeling a kitchen is a huge undertaking whether you are completely gutting the whole space or just updating a few key elements. No matter where you are at on the spectrum in remodeling your kitchen space you will be investing time and money so you want to start with a solid plan of action. Before you tear out the cupboards or bash the walls you will want to negotiate a budget that takes into consideration your priorities as well as the must have desired renovations. The most common mistake that is made, when it comes to remodeling your kitchen, is running over budget.
When it comes to determining a budget for your kitchen remodel you need to determine how much you have to spend and if it is enough to cover what you want. Look online there are a variety of budget worksheets to help determine if you have enough money to move forward with the remodeling process. If you have not saved enough money you will need to consider if a loan is in your best interest.
Some questions to ask: How long do I plan on living in this home after we remodel? What are my current outstanding debts? Do I have enough monthly income to cover the additional loan payment? All of these questions will lead to answers that will help you determine a finite budget for your kitchen remodel. Once a budget is set in stone you will know exactly how much you have to spend on the remodel and can delegate funds accordingly.
Delegating The Budget
Once you know how much money you have to spend on your remodel you can delegate money accordingly. If you find that your budget doesn't cover the cost associated with a full kitchen remodel you may consider minor upgrades to the kitchen instead. It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint, some cabinet resurfacing and a new counter top can do to update the look of your kitchen. When you are on a set budget you will need to work diligently at delegating money out to ensure that the top priority renovations within your kitchen are covered before non-essentials.
When you are working with an unlimited budget, the sky can be your limit. It is important, even when you are on an unlimited budget, that you take into consideration the price that homes in the area are currently selling for. The worst possible situation you can get into is over valuing your home when in comparison to others in the area. This is a sure way to lose money when it comes to selling your home.
When you are planning your kitchen remodeling keep in mind the following:
· Decide the budget for your kitchen remodel.
· Choose where to spend the bulk of the budget. What is most important to you and what upgrades are secondary?
· Are you going to hire a home remodeling contractor or are you considering doing the renovations on your own?
· Add a cushion to your budget as something unexpected always happens when you least expect it to.
· Remember that a solid plan of action, along with a complete budget will help for a smooth kitchen remodel.
Jason Foldenauer Construction, out of Howell and Brighton Michigan, offers a variety of home renovations to clients ranging from kitchenand bathroom remodeling to home additions and storage sheds. Contact http://www.jfcremodeling.com today for your entire home renovating needs.
There are so many variables to take into account when beginning any remodeling project within your home. Whether you are going it on your own or hiringa contractor there are some things that will help your remodel or hurt it. Read on to discover the do’s and don’ts with your next home improvement projects.
· Be decisive with your decisions from the start. There will be a million decisions to make when remodeling a room in your home. The best thing to do is to make every decision before you begin any home improvement project no matter how large or small the renovation is.
Hiring a general contractor can help with this process. They are able to lay out a plan and keep you on a schedule. Small things like ordering a faucet can derail the schedule of a kitchen or bathroom remodel. When your faucet is late being delivered then the plumber needs to be rescheduled. Then if the plumber later installs the faucet only to find that the medicine cabinet door hits the faucet you have a new issue. It is simple to see how one mishap can lead to a lengthy and unexpected delay in any remodeling process.
· Try not to change your mind. It is inevitable that something is going to happen and you are going to want to change your mind. The most important thing to remember is that each time this occurs it will result in your order needing to be changed. This might not seem like a big deal however it usually adds to the cost of your project, increases time spent on the project and can lead to major schedule changes. Make sure of your choices before placing orders or settling on design renovations.
· Don’t buy materials on your own. Many people believe that purchasing materials on their own is the most affordable way to proceed through a remodel. Many people think that builders are just going to mark up the prices on their materials which is true. However, the fact is that the most affordable way to proceed through a remodel. Many people think that builders are just going to mark up the prices on their materials which is true. However, the fact is that builders get a decent discount on building supplies that many pass on to their customers. Even with their markup the materials still tend to cost less than they would at a home improvement store.
· Don’t wait to make necessary upgrades. There are times when you want to make cosmetic upgrades to your home but it is not always the right time. Adding fancy cabinets to a home with a saggy foundation or leaky roof is just not smart. Before making any upgrades or renovations to the home make sure the house is sound structurally. Adding central air to a home with little insulation is another renovation that just doesn't make sense. Make sure all necessary updates are made to the home before choosing cosmetic renovations.
Updating your home is always an adventure. You can keep the surprises to a minimum by following the tips above.